(3) Laid the foundation for 3D surface
rendering in medical imaging (1979 Herman, Liu).
(4) First published 3D image segmentation
algorithm (1977 Liu, 1979 Udupa, Srihari, Herman).
(5) First published 3D skeletonization
method (1979 Udupa, Srihari, Yau).
(6) First to develop software packages
for 3D imaging, which were distributed widely, even in those days of non
standard platforms (1980 DISPLAY, 1982 - DISPLAY82, Udupa, Herman, Frieder, Yau, et al).
(7) First to transfer 3D imaging to industry, GE CT/T8800 scanner (1980, 1981 Udupa), first 3D imaging
demonstrated at RSNA (1981).
(8) First development of image reconstruction methods and software for time-varying 3D images and cone beam data.
Many aspects of this work were far ahead of their time. This software was used by the Dynamic Spatial
Reconstructor scanner of the Mayo Clinic (1980 - Herman, Lewitt, et al).
(9) DISPLAY and DISPLAY82 developed by MIPG were installed at Mayo Clinic whose researchers were using these
software packages until 1985 when they developed their own package called, Analyze (1980, 1981 Udupa).
(10) Laid the foundation for 3D and higher-dimensional digital geometry and topology (1981 Artzy, Frieder, Herman,
1981 Udupa, 1982 Udupa, Srihari, Herman).
(11) First published paper on brain MR image processing and visualization (1981 Herman, Udupa, Lauterbur, et al).
(12) First to demonstrate medical applications of 3D imaging in several areas: neuro (1980 Coin, Herman), craniofacial
(1979 Hemmy, Herman), heart (1983 Axel, Herman, Udupa, Bottomley) and joint kinematics (1984 Roberts,
(13) Early image registration algorithm published at the same time the Pelizzari et al method was published (1989
Toennies, Udupa, Herman).
(14) Introduced shape-based interpolation (1990 Raya, Udupa).
(15) Introduced the fuzzy connectedness and live-wire family of methods to image segmentation, which have had a
significant impact on the image segmentation literature (1995 Udupa, Samarasekera).
(16) Introduced special image grids with smooth spherical ΕΓlobsΗfor image reconstruction (1990, 92 Lewitt, Matej).
(17) Forerunners in transferring
iterative algorithms from research labs to clinical nuclear medicine (1999
(18) Developed the fastest surface rendering technique (1991 Udupa, Odhner).
(19) First published paper to suggest
the use of 3D imaging for surgery simulation through interactive 3D object
(1982 Udupa, 1984 Udupa, et al).
(20) 3DVIEWNIX A software system designed, developed, maintained and distributed by us for 3D image processing,
visualization, analysis has had a significant impact in medical imaging and other areas. This system has over 40
person years of work into it so far. (1994 Udupa, et al).
(21) We organized the first conference on 3D imaging (1988, 1990 Herman, Udupa).